Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The First Million Dollar Bill Ever

Alexander D. Smith has been charged with disorderly conduct and two counts of forgery because he tried to open a new account with a $1 million dollar bill. After the bank teller refused to open the account, he began cursing at the bank employees. There are so many things wrong here that you can actually feel right about calling the man just plain stupid.

In case you're unaware, the Federal government has never printed a million dollar bill. This was probably the first thing that tipped the teller off to the fact that it was a fake. Obviously there wasn't any research done on this fact. You'd think that at some point during the process of making the bill, the question might arise whether or not it's an actual denomination.

After seeing the picture of the bill, I had to wonder how it got to be in such worn condition. I've seen a lot of one dollar bills in pretty bad shape, but the larger denominations such as fifties and hundreds are usually in pretty crisp condition due to the fact that they aren't circulated as heavily. I must then extrapolate further that a million dollar bill would most likely be in mint condition and not all crumpled up.

I have to wonder how I would have handled the situation if I were the teller and was faced with this situation. I think I would have just stared back at the man in wonderment that he would even attempt such a stunt. It's simply amazing what some people will come up with.

No comments: