Tuesday, December 4, 2007

NFL Timeouts: What's the Rule??

I've been watching quite a bit of football the last couple of weeks, and especially enjoyed the recent victory of the Dallas Cowboys over the Green Bay Packers. I did, however, wonder why some of the timeouts called were "full" timeouts and others were 30 second timeouts. I wasn't aware that there were different timeouts in football like there are in basketball so I did a little research to find out why.

Apparently it has to do with the television coverage of the game. Normally timeouts are for 1 minute 50 seconds and the coverage usually goes to a commercial break. However, if television doesn't utilize the timeout for a commercial break, the time is reduced. The mystery has now been solved for me. Hopefully this has also cleared things up for some of you out there who have also wondered about this.

No comments: