Saturday, December 22, 2007

A Tribute to Victor Wooten, The Musician's Bassist

For about as long as I can remember I've been passionate about music. Growing up I played the viola, sung in choirs (my least favorite mind you), and played the trombone (a little baritone/euphonium as well). I've played in orchestras, bands and jazz bands. And ever since I was introduced to the world of jazz, I've loved it. In my last couple of years in high school I also picked up the bass guitar and fell in love with it. I've been playing it ever since.

And every bass guitarist worth anything will be able to tell you about Victor Wooten. I heard a couple of CDs from friends that initially got me interested in him, but then I saw him live for the first time and was blown away. I've now seen him play at least five different times and he's the only artist that I'll never grow tired of seeing. I've seen him play in the Salt Lake City area as well as in Springfield, Illinois. Most recently I saw him at the House of Blues in Chicago.

The concerts I've seen the most are of the Victor Wooten Band. He is obviously the main part of the show, but the whole band is extremely talented. His brothers also usually play with him. Just so you have an idea what I'm talking about here's a little battle between him and his brother Reggie. Victor's the one on bass.



Victor also plays with a band called Bela Fleck and the Flecktones that includes Bela on banjo. Here is one of Victor's amazing solos on their song Sinister Minister. About three minutes into the solo he breaks his top string, yet it doesn't seem to phase him and he keeps right on going.



He has also played with the likes of DMB and you can watch him play one of his more melodic solos with them. [Disclaimer: I don't really like the Dave Mathews Band, but I will acknowledge their talent. And I'll give them a pass when they play with Victor.]

If you haven't seen Victor play or haven't ever heard of him, do yourself a favor and check him out. He's an artist that you won't regret seeing.

No comments: