Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The King of Torts

Over the last couple of weeks, or months, I've been reading a book that I bought off the library at one of their book sales for a dollar. The King of Torts is written by John Grisham, and since I've read and liked a couple of his books, I figured I could give this one a shot. I hadn't heard of the book before, probably because it wasn't made into a movie, but still hoped that it would be worth the read.

I'm now about half way through the book, so don't worry, I won't spoil any sort of surprise ending for you. The main character in the book is a young lawyer who works in the public defender's office. He's given a murder case that seems pretty open and shut until he's approached by someone representing a drug company who knows they have a bad drug and want to settle quietly. The lawyer makes a lot of money off of this deal and is then made aware of another even more lucrative case. I'm not sure how this one turns out yet since I haven't gotten that far in the book.

It's been a pretty interesting read so far, but I don't read a lot at once usually. I am interested to see how the book turns out though. And for those of you not sure what a tort is, here is how the book defines it on the back cover:

A private or civil wrong or injury, including action for bad faith breach of contract, for which the court will provide a remedy in the form of an action for damages.

So if the book sounds interesting to you, maybe you ought to give it a shot. It's not really that long of a book so it should take you too long to get through it.

No comments: