Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Initial Thoughts On Facebook

Over the weekend I decided to join this little thing called Facebook. I had been meaning to look into it for quite a while, but just never took the time until now. I was up really late with a friend and mostly had nothing better to do. This being said, here are my initial thoughts after joining the social network:

1. The layout is much better than what I've seen with MySpace. I'll admit that I haven't messed around too much with either of these sites, but MySpace just seems rather convoluted and unorganized. Facebook is probably less customizable, but I'd rather have the cleaner look.

2. I can see how one could become a complete junky and spend/waste far too much time with the site. I've only been live on the site for a couple of days now, and every time I check my linked email I have new messages from people that I have to delete. With all the messaging, photo sharing, and other random applications one could get quite caught up in it all.

3. It seems like a great way to keep in touch with people and reconnect with others that you haven't seen in a while. I've found a bunch of people that I haven't heard from in years. With such easy access to friends' profiles and contact information, I see it as a great tool for networking and the like.

4. As a follow-on to number 3, I don't really see how some people have upwards of three or four hundred "friends". Perhaps it's another way to appear popular or whatever, but I hardly think that someone has hundreds and hundreds of people with whom they converse with regularly and keep in touch with.

All in all, it seems like a pretty cool thing. I don't see myself being on it all too much, but I like the idea of being able to get in touch with people relatively quickly. We'll see how it goes though.

No comments: